Monday, December 26, 2022

Eggy Post...

My pre-dinner of mini stroopwaffle (brought by a colleague from Netherlands) and takoyaki.
A 'fusion' of international snacks!
The takoyaki was bought from a campus foodcourt at a very affordable price. RM5 for 5 pieces😀
The takoyaki are hidden beneath the bonito flakes. Tastes similar to those sold in AEON.
The students these days are so pampered to have these snacks sold at their foodcourt, back in my time, we only have bread or biscuits from the campus convenient store.
~~~~~
Meanwhile, on another day.....I had a crazy idea of whipping up something in the office.
The office pantry has egg supplies, full cream milk (meant for the coffee) and sachets of brown sugar.
There is also a sieve and microwave.
so.....ahemmm......my first attempt of making this in the office....
yes, steam egg custard!
instead of 'steam', it was microwaved....
nope, it does not explode...hehehe...
Left it cold for awhile before digging in.
Looks solid...like a real 'steamed' egg....
~~~~~~
Meanwhile during my last visit to AEON, i bought a box of German egg tarts at RM8.90 (for 3 pieces)
It tastes like Portuguese egg tarts but in squarish form and thick, non-flaky crust.
~~~~~~
On another day, i went to buy egg tarts from the neighbourhood Berry's Cakehouse and RT Bakery just to compare the taste. 
RT Bakery egg tarts are sold in a box of 2 pieces (RM5.40 per box, meaning RM2.70 per piece).
Berry's egg tart comes in single unit wrapped in plastic packaging. RM2.30 per piece (or RM2.20, can't remember!)
RT Bakery egg tart is slightly bigger and heavier by 50gram compared to Berry's, hence it's fair to have a slightly higher price.
Tastewise, almost the same...not much of eggy taste coz the crust is too thick.
I'd prefer the German egg tart from AEON more.

5 comments:

Twilight Man said...

Wow! I love good egg tarts and must go try that German Egg tarts. Now I am wondering whether egg tarts originated from Europe or China??? Any idea Nux?

I agree that kids nowadays are very pampered.

Rose world said...

Not bad, making custard in the office pantry. Haha. The German egg tart looked good.

PH said...

So how was the taste of your microwaved eggs? Nice or not? Is it like egg custard taste. Wah, I ask so many quetions LOL!

Nancy Chan said...

I see that the microwaved egg turns out quite well. Now I know egg can be microwaved instead of steaming them. I prefer egg tart with thinner pastry.

mun said...

Thanks for the review of egg tarts. I will buy the German egg tarts the next time I go to Aeon. Wow! You are very skillful to make egg custard using the microwave.

Up To You Signature Kopitiam @ Sri Petaling

Growling stomach: Where to go for dinner today? Exhausted brain: I can't think much already, up to you lor.... OK, so i went to Up To Yo...