Thursday, August 2, 2018

Throwback: Port Louis Escapade & short stroll at Bagatelle Mall

 It was a Saturday noon when my senior (who stayed a couple of doors away) called and asked if I would like to go downtown.
why not? while she has been to Mauritius 4-5 times, it was my first.
Surely I m ON!
We took a public bus from the nearby bus stop (just outside the hotel). It was a short wait (5 minutes wait) and 15 minutes ride to Port Louis.
Their buses are not like our RapidKL type with air-condition and automated ticketing system, but of those that we had 30 years ago. No fan nor air-cond and they are using manual ticketing where the bus conductor will approach each passenger and issue them ticket. It sort of brings back childhood memories bus ride that I had back in the 80s/early 90s.
It was a sunny afternoon on a summer day
clear blue skies with some clouds.
the city center is not as busy as I thought, perhaps it is Saturday. 
Offices closed after mid-day, and most of the tourist spots (such as museums) are closed too.
There isn't much shopping malls around Port Louis despite being the capital city. They do have markets and street performers...but other than that it is a pretty quaint town.
We walked around & enjoyed the sight of these yacht at Le Caudan Waterfront
Passing by the Aapravasi Ghat which is a UNESCO heritage site, unfortunately it was closed.
The old colonial Post Office building
it's a one storey building, and it was closed too....
then back at the waterfront to enjoy the sun, sea
and sands shops
a lot of Africans lingering around this area
even the street performers are Africans, rapping/singing in their language which I dun tink their locals would understand too...
getting some shades from these umbrellas
clear signboards everywhere....anyway u won't get lost in this small compound
more yachts parked further away...
on the right is a hotel building facing the waterfront. It is one of the best hotel in Port Louis
I wish I could stay here and watch the sunset...*as my senior had sometime ago....
Weather was hot, so i had pistachio and irish cream softserve ice cream for Rp60 at a nearby food court.
Then continue walking...in one of the nearby craft market that sells souvenirs (similar to our Central market)
These posters show the places of attraction all around the island.
It was a short trip downtown as most tourist spots are closed by noon. After a two hour walk, we went back to our hotel in Moka.
The day was still early (for dinner), hence I decided to drop by Bagatelle mall for some light shopping and sight seeing.
The mall has set up a stage for the Indian musical performance later that evening and these troupe were practising when I passed by...
the actual performance will be recorded....
Now I wonder where did the cameraman went....coz I can go as near as to touch that camera/recorder and do some hanky panky stuff on it
The makeshift stage is set up next to the foodcourt….So I might as well go 'kepoh' on what the food court sells. The below is a stall selling Chinese dumplings, Yay! Yes, here u can find 'siu mai' and assorted dim sums.
Another stall selling a variety of food ranging from fried stuffs, rice, noodles, sandwiches. The menu (board) is in French
As it was still a Diwali week, the assorted Indian sweets were on sale too
the Ladoo….
Jamun....
Mawa….don't ask me what are these....All I know is that they all taste super sweet!
The mini 'kolam' decoration on the floor...
They have 'kolam' at all their entrances....still looking good despite having no railing surrounding it...

5 comments:

Libby said...

Thanks for bringing us for a tour around the town by sharing these photos, it looks pretty quiet though

mun said...

Why can't you stay there and watch the sunset as it is a Saturday and you don't need to go to the office. Thanks for sharing the photos with us.

Nux V said...

Libby: u r welcomed!

Mun: I wish too! but me & my senior are collaborating together and we still have to work in the hotel despite on weekend.

PH said...

Wah...I like your ice cream! I have not got used to Indian sweets. The taste not ngam with me.

Twilight Man said...

You have shared so many photos in several blog post. I like that place for a holiday as it looks like a mixture of New Orleans and California is some angles.

Flying Fish @ Oistins, Barbados

Barbados is known as "the land of the flying fish" which is also a national symbol of the country. So, off we went to try this fis...