Friday, March 16, 2018

Voila Hotel - Dinner, Day 4 & 5

The office cafeteria food is quite limited. It is either local Mauritius meal or western food. I preferred to have local Mauritius food as much as I do to try out their local cuisine.
Well, their local food is very much like ours, with rice as staple, though sometimes Indian roti or French croissant.
My lunch consist of beans (lotsa them!), rice, curry sardines and some pickles. The green thing at the side is their local pounded chilli paste. If the Chinese have soy sauce, the Mauritians would have this chilli paste as a must-have-item to enhance the spiciness of their food.
I kinda like it, it was superbly spicy with a hint of raw chili taste (and some herbs). The spiciness is equivalent to the hottest Peri-peri sauce.
as for the dinner, I had 'Mediterranean chicken' in the hotel
the hotel menu is just a 2-piece cardboard , it does not offer much choices, more so if u hav a restricted diet such as vegetarian, non-beef eater etc.
Luckily I'm not ;-)
my GOAL is to try out all items in the menu before I leave
The Mediterranean chicken wasn't good nor bad, just so-so...Hotel food, what to expect?
if wanna have better food then spend $$$ and go out dine lor...
 
The following day
The next day, I had something unfamiliar for my lunch...
The red ones were chicken chunks cooked in tomato sauce, the colorless was eggplant and the yellow thingy I still couldn't figure out despite finishing the dish...It tasted like some pumpkin, but not-quite too....
googling out, I tink it is mashed Patty-Pan Squash
 as for dinner, I had grilled fish with mac & cheese

5 comments:

mun said...

Since the green chili herb paste is so so spicy, I think I can only try a little bit of it. I like your fish dinner the best! wah, did you lose or gain weight during this working trip? I see the food all looks very tasty.

Libby said...

I like the grilled fish with mac and cheese

Nux V said...

Mun: sure gain weight la....But anyhow, my weight is now back to normal after adapting back to local diet.

Libby: mac & cheese is delicious, grilled fish so-so only.

Twilight Man said...

I think you got holed up inside the hotel and office so much until you could not find quality time to try all their Mauritian local food. Need a guide next trip to carry you on the motorbike to visit all the food stalls where they have quite a rich historical background with Arabic, French, Dutch, English, Indian and even Chinese influence! That'w what I read up.

Nux V said...

Twilight Man: yea, not much chance to go outside during the weekday. We only got the chance to explore a lil' during the weekend, but that also only for a few hours. Yea, they are rich in culture, just like Malaysia.

St Michael, Barbados

During the weekdays, the driver would picked us (me & colleague) from the apartment at 8am daily. Sometimes he would use different route...